Snort mailing list archives

Question about hardware needs

From: "Robert Casto" <robert () cincijava com>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 14:33:37 -0500

I am setting up Snort to watch a web server that is an 8 processor
Compaq. The 100 Meg line that I will be listening to will be pretty full
most of the time. I was wondering what would be needed for the Snort
machine to handle an almost saturated 100 M Ethernet line? I am thinking
of a dual processor 2.4 GHz with 2 Gig of memory running SuSE 8.1 along
with some 15k RPM drives. Is this a major overkill? So far in all of my
testing Snort has yet to loose a single packet. What kind of hardware
will I need to keep up with this much traffic?

NOTE: I will be processing the logs that are created on the same
machine. Essentially stripping out information and keeping the parts of
the TCP streams I need for logging purposes and further analysis.

Thanks in advance!

Robert Casto
Tel (513) 755-2221
Cell (513) 349-5282