Snort mailing list archives

RE: Running snort in daemon mode disables network c onnection

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 08:40:41 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003, Sadanapalli, Pradeep Kumar (MED, TCS) wrote:

I tried to run snort with -p option. Now my network interface is not
running in promiscuous mode, as I found it out by executing "dmesg|tail
-10". But still I my network connection is getting disabled immediately
after running snort. I am not even able to ping to any other machine in
LAN or other machines are not able to connect to my machine.

Try running tcpdump on the same interface and seeing if that causes some
sort of an issue as well.  Are you sure you're not running something else
that could case the card to go into "monitor" mode?  Kismet, Dstumbler,
Wellenrieter, etc?

What you are describing, should not happen.  I've run Snort just fine on
my wireless card (USR 2410--I know, it is a POS) without any of the issues
you are having.  I don't think it could be anything to do with the
initialization code since that's about as 'standard' as you can get for
applications like Snort.

-----
Erek Adams