Snort mailing list archives

RE: Multiple Snort Instances

From: "Williams Jon" <WilliamsJonathan () JohnDeere com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 15:19:10 -0600

The biggest reason we do it is economy of scale: we can monitor more than
one WAN link with a given piece of hardware, so it makes no sense to waste
money on a single sensor per network.

When I first started setting up sensors, I'd physically locate my sensors on
the network they were monitoring.  In that model, each piece of hardware was
only watching one net and only had one snort process.  At the time, I hadn't
tuned, so all of the "spare" CPU cycles were being chewed up by my
inefficient snort configs, but that's another post :-)

When I re-architected, I put my sensors in a single location and gave each
two interfaces, one on a management network that I connect to them with and
one that is the monitor interface that receives the traffic from the taps.
Once I'd tuned the rules, I found that each box (dual processor 1ghz PIII,
1gb RAM, 18gb HD) was able to monitor much more than a single WAN link or
LAN segment, so I began to aggregate networks together so I didn't have to
buy as many sensors.  I'm now monitoring as many as 11 WAN links on one box
and 12 LAN segments on another.  The side effect of this is that, if you
only run one snort process, your rules list gets really hard to manage.
Also, if your box is multi-processor, by splitting up the nets into seperate
processes, you can actually take advantage of the other CPUs beyond the
first.

Also, if you're taking advantage of using BPFs on the commandline to
pre-filter traffic, you may find that you need to set up a temporary process
with a different BPF if something comes up that falls outside of your normal
filter.  This way, you don't have to muck about with your production snort
as much, but you can still accomodate the short-term investigative needs.

Hope this helps.

Jon