Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort and ipchains

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 13:09:17 -0500

I noticed this one went unanswered on the list.. so..

Snort is not intended to be a firewall, it is intended to be an intrusion sensor.

There are several tools, such as hogwash, snort-inline, and snortsam that are intended to allow snort alerts to dynamically re-configure your IPchains/IPTables firewall.

Personally, I'm a strong proponent of the "have a properly laid out firewall and properly patched servers in the first place. Don't rely on your IDS to try to secure your network, use it for forensics and to recognize what areas of your network are being probed the most frequently and thus need the closest attention" type approach. I also like to keep my snort box heavily isolated from other systems so I can trust the data on it, even if the firewall or servers in the DMZ are breached. But others like the idea of extending snort to auto-configure their firewalls.

The major drawbacks I see to integrating snort into your firewall are:
-it may create a strong false sense of security, and encourage not paying careful attention to firewall configuration. -your firewall is now only as secure as your snort box, and many are not capable of securing a general purpose unix system well enough to make it secure enough to use as a firewall component. Judge your abilities carefully here and be paranoid about locking it down.