Snort mailing list archives

Re: Help! Very wierd traffic.

From: Yonah Russ <yonah () jct ac il>
Date: 20 Feb 2003 08:36:21 +0200

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I was trying to figure it out in the
meantime and I came across the radware linkproof device. Its some sort
of load balancing device which will balance load across a multihomed
network.

see: http://www.sans.org/y2k/031401.htm
specifically the following quote (so google will show this answer for
the next guy):

(John Benninghoff)

SANS/GIAC: Recently, I was contacted by a sysadmin who was
investigating the "37852 UDP portscan." He forwarded me an explanation
from the owner of the IP address that sent the UDP 37852 packets:

This IP address corresponds to our Load Balancing/Fault Tolerance equipment:
Radware Linkproof. It is not at all a scan or whatever. The Linkproof is
the only other alternative (of BGP4 and Autonomous System) when you have
multi-homing of Internet accesses. The Linkproof tries to calculate the best
route (in terms of load and response time) to a target server. To do that the
Linkproof sends a SYN or ICMP or a UDP packet in all Internet links to the
same target and direct the next steps of the connection to the link that is
the best route considered by its algorithm. Of course it has a table of
targets so that it does not do this process for all outbound requests and
refreshes its tables regularly.  So you should not at all consider this as
a scan, an attack or whatever.

This corresponds well to the data I have. A typical "scan" includes a
udp packet followed by an ICMP echo request, then TCP ACK, TCP SYN, TCP
RST, normally directed at our name server:

sorry to bother you guys. thanks again.
yonah