Snort mailing list archives

Re: No alerts: Good or bad

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 12:23:09 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003, Adam Shephard wrote:

Done. Debian does have 1.9.0 in their UNSTABLE
distribution so switching to it is not big deal.

Good deal.  You've saved yourself some headaches down the road.  :)

I didn't it mind it too much until I set up my own box
using pf. Now, the Firebox is the bane of my
existence.

I know how you feel! :)

That's what I've got in there. So, I figured "Cool.
This should be simple." But noooooooooo.

I've got the Firebox allowing a range of ports in from
the address of my box running nmap. I know nmap is
getting through because I can see it both on the
Firebox logs and on the logs of a machine inside the
network.

I have snort on in sniffer mode and can see lots of
traffic coming across it but none of that traffic is
coming from my nmap box. I thought that perhaps it
would look like traffic from the Firebox but there
isn't any of that either.

At first I felt like I was just paranoid and was
trying to triple-check everything. Now, I'm wondering.

This Nmap box, is it inside HOME_NET or not?  Also, how are you connecting
these machines?  If you have one of those Autosensing 10/100 hubs, that's
your problem.  Check the FAQ [0] for the info on that.

You might want to get simple and enable 'ping.rules' in snort.conf.  Then
just simply ping the sensor and see if you can get an alert.

-----
Erek Adams

[0]     http://www.snort.org/docs/faq.html#6.21