Snort mailing list archives

Re: Minimal Redhat 7.3 install

From: Ken Gunderson <kgunders () teamcool net>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 14:29:55 -0700

On Sunday 16 February 2003 01:46 pm, Baeder, Jason (GXS) wrote:
Bennett,

Thank you. This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for.
 As it turns, since I got snowed in today (and probably tomorrow as
well), it appears that I do have time to reinvent the wheel.  I
pulled out an old PC and started the process of cleaning it out to
try a Redhat install.  Athough with a Pentium 200/64MB RAM/1.3 GB HD
I don't know how far I'll get ;-)

Jason

try an openbsd <http://www.openbsd.org> install.  partition something
like this:
/       64MB
swap    128MB
/usr    300MB
/var    the rest

then install only minimal required file sets + man pages:
base
etc
bsd
man

this will give you a really slim openbsd install, but enough to play
around with (as long as you install precompiled packages).  the
partition scheme i provided assumes you want to be able to stash some
data on /var.  if not the case and you'd like a bit more flexibility
with what you can do with the box, the make /use about a gig and give
the rest to /var.

--
Best regards,

Ken Gunderson