Snort mailing list archives

RE: Best Enterprise Snort Configuration

From: "Kreimendahl, Chad J" <Chad.Kreimendahl () umb com>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 09:52:28 -0600

What brings on the need for 60-70 sensors?  There may be many better
ways to consolidate several links into one (monitoring a DMZ or VLAN for
example)...  Depending on how much money you want to spend
(hardware/software), you may consider people like sourcefire or demarc.
If you have inhouse developers, you may even consider using them to
develop a tool.

I would recommend Oracle if you're going to plan on having more than a
few hundred thousand records in the DB.  This will likely mean you need
a machine dedicated to DB stuff, but that doesn't sound too crazy if
you're talking about 60-70 sensors.  Also, I would look into quad
ethernet cards on a dual box.  Or, if you can consolidate a DMZ of
webservers or VLAN of something common, you can SPAN that out through
gigabit and likely be able to have at least one, if not two gigE cards
monitoring on one sensor.

I would recommend dual 1.4+GHz box for doing 2 gigE or quad ethernet.
Though FreeBSD typically handles network traffic better, I would
personally recommend Linux for only one reason:  Oracle.  Other than
that, FreeBSD would be the way to go.