Snort mailing list archives

ACID/MySql DB performance

From: "McPheeters, Scott" <smcpheeters () fnms-indy com>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 09:43:34 -0500

I am seeing a lot of messages about mySql DB performance.  I am curious what the general consciences is about how many
alerts are in your database?

I normally see a pretty big performance change around 100k alerts, at that point the "snap" is gone and the system has
to think about each page. I am still working on my rules, does it ever end? hehe, so I can run anywhere between 50k and
300k.

How many alerts do you try to keep your databases at?
When do you start feeling the performance differences??

ps. my db server is quad xeon 500, 2gig ram, lots of disk.  I have done the extra indexes and I check the tables for
optimizations.

Scott