Snort mailing list archives

Re: Can someone help me with a script to send my snort alerts to my email

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 15:15:55 -0500

I use this kind of kludgy script (some paths changed for security reasons) as part of my daily cron to rotate my snort logs and email me the alerts as an email message.

Note: to be less race-condition prone, it would be better if the mail command was postponed until after snort is restarted and emailed me alert.1 instead. As it stands now, any alerts that occur after the email is sent, but before snort is killed/restarted will not appear in the emails (they will be in the files).

There's also a race-condition window between taring the tcpdump files and rm'ing them. I suspect I can tell tar to unlink the files as it tars them, which would be much better as well.

It does depend on having /etc/start_snort.sh which is just a shell-script that invokes snort as a Daemon with all the parameters I want. Since I chroot and setuid my snort, I have to kill it to restart it to avoid the infinitely-deep-chroot issue. You might not have to go to such extremes.

################################
#!/bin/sh
SNORTLOGS=/var/log/snort

mail -s"Snort: Alerts" snortreport () evi-inc com < ${SNORTLOGS}/alert
#rotate alerts
mv ${SNORTLOGS}/alert.3.gz ${SNORTLOGS}/alert.4.gz
mv ${SNORTLOGS}/alert.2.gz ${SNORTLOGS}/alert.3.gz
mv ${SNORTLOGS}/alert.1 ${SNORTLOGS}/alert.2
mv ${SNORTLOGS}/alert ${SNORTLOGS}/alert.1

#rotate tarballs of tcpdump captures
 ${SNORTLOGS}/pkts.3.tar.gz ${SNORTLOGS}/pkts.4.tar.gz
mv ${SNORTLOGS}/pkts.2.tar.gz ${SNORTLOGS}/pkts.3.tar.gz
mv ${SNORTLOGS}/pkts.1.tar.gz ${SNORTLOGS}/pkts.2.tar.gz
mv ${SNORTLOGS}/pkts.tar.gz ${SNORTLOGS}/pkts.1.tar.gz

cd ${SNORTLOGS}

#make a new packets tarball
tar -cf pkts.tar tcpdump.log.*

#clear out the packets directories
rm -rf tcpdump.log.*

#first send existing snort  SIGUSR1 signal to make it dump stats.
#then kill existing snort (if any)
PIDFILE=/var/run/snort_eth0.pid

if [ -f $PIDFILE ]; then
  PID_SNORT=`head -1 $PIDFILE`
  kill -USR1 $PID_SNORT
  kill $PID_SNORT
fi

#start a new snort
sh /etc/start_snort.sh

#compress the rotated logs (saved till end because this is processing intensive)
gzip -9 alert.2
gzip -9 portscan.log.2
gzip -9 log.2
gzip pkts.tar