Snort mailing list archives

Re: is it possible to get pcap logs in individual directories?

From: twig les <twigles () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 09:47:36 -0800 (PST)

Snort *may* have what you're looking for, if what you're looking
for is this (from snort.conf):

# You can optionally define new rule types and associate one or
# more output plugins specifically to that type.
#
# This example will create a type that will log to just tcpdump.
# ruletype suspicious
# {
#   type log
#   output log_tcpdump: suspicious.log
# }
#
# EXAMPLE RULE FOR SUSPICIOUS RULETYPE:
# suspicious $HOME_NET any -> $HOME_NET 6667 (msg:"Internal IRC
Server";)

I use this for some stupid traffic that sometimes preceeds a
system crash on a problematic box.  I just specify the full path
of the file I want to create.  Although I can see where this
solution would not scale.

--- Jon <warchild () spoofed org> wrote:
Greetings,

I've poured over all the documentation and can't figure this
out.

I have a 1.9 build from 1/29/03 running on OpenBSD -current.
I've got 6
different snort processes listening on different interfaces
doing different
things.

For each process, the only thing that differs in the command
below is the
interface and the configuration file.  In each config file,
the only output
plugin enabled is the database one:

snort -i xl1 -CDdIey -c /share/snort/etc/snort.conf -g snort
-u snort

This gets me a nice database with all the alerts in a
managable form, and a
text version in /var/log/snort/<ip>/$foo, where $foo is
something like
TCP:44332-80.

The problem comes when I want to do real analysis of an attack
and an ASCII
view of the packet is not sufficient.  Say I wanted to submit
a pcap file
containing the attack, or do more analysis with some other
package -- this
isn't possible with ACSII.

I know I can enable tcpdump/binary output, or use the -b
option, but things
get ugly pretty quick with that.  Ideally, I'd like something
that
maintained the /var/log/snort/<ip>/ directory structure but
gave me a pcap
file instead of the ASCII.  The name of said pcap file is
kinda important
too, but I'd be happy if it just logged to unique files for
each
protco/src-port/dst-port combo like ASCII does.

Is this possible?  If not, would a feature like this be
valuable to the
Snort community?

Thanks in advance,

-jon