Snort mailing list archives

Re: Disable Snort logging to /var/log/snort

From: "Andrew R. Baker" <andrewb () snort org>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 08:17:23 -0500

Dirk Geschke wrote:
Hi,

Snort keep logging to /var/log/snort even I have enable DB output
plugin, how can I stop snort from loggin to this directory??

use the command line option -N:

 -N     Turn  off  packet  logging.   The   program   still
        generates alerts normally.

A bit of qualification on this, this will work if you are using "output database: alert ...". However, if you are using "output database: log ...", you will want to add "-A none" to the command line instead.

"-N" turns off packet logging output plugins, "-A none" turns of alerting plugins". The database plugin can act as either alerting or logging. Also, alert information is available to the packet logging output plugins, so you can still get alerts with "-A none" (depending on which output plugins you use).

-A