Snort mailing list archives

Re: novice

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 20:15:27 -0500

At 06:35 PM 2/6/2003 -0600, Tom Murdock wrote:

Question from Novice. Thank you

I'll do my best, please bear with me as I'm having a hard time deciphering your questions.

I need a Linux 8.0 as a platform for SNORT

Hmm, there's no such thing as Linux 8.0. The latest stable version of Linux itself is 2.4.20. (note that Linux itself is just a kernel)

Perhaps you mean RedHat 8.0? Please clarify what Linux distribution that version number goes with.

1. Should I configure Linux during the installation installation and configuration, since I want to run SNORT on it?

Could you re-phrase that? It makes no sense to me as worded. It would be impossible to install an operating system without configuring it.

Are you looking for specific advice on what installation options to use? In general most any setup should work, but make sure you install development support packages like gcc, glibc-devel (assuming RedHat naming conventions). You'll also need libpcap and libpcap-devel.

2. Which SNORT version would be appropriate for me to install and run smoothly.

At this time, you should use 1.9.0. Possibly with spp_portscan2 and spp_conversation disabled in snort.conf if you don't have much memory on the system you are running.