Snort mailing list archives

Re: Question about downloading rules

From: Edin Dizdarevic <edin.dizdarevic () interActive-Systems de>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 00:39:46 +0100

Hi, we already had that ;)

Anyway, try this:

############## CUT #######################
SIGS_URL1="http://www.snort.org/dl/signatures/snortrules-stable.tar.gz";
MD5_URL1="http://www.snort.org/dl/signatures/snortrules-stable.tar.gz.md5";

WGET="/usr/bin/wget"
#WGET_PARAMS="-N"
WGET_PARAMS="-t 3 -T 5 -N -a /etc/snort/snort.log -P /etc/snort"

# Wget parameters:
#
# -t            : Retries (here 3)
# -N            : Get the file only if newer
# -a            : Append the log messages to the specified file
# -P            : Save the file to the specified directory
# -T            : Timeout
############## CUT #######################

The rules are beeing updated a few times a day. Allthough
they sometimes seem to be identical but are fetched by
wget anyway. I did not come behind this yet and the
MD5-Sums sometimes do not fit too.

Regards,

Edin_

Paul Schmehl wrote:
I took Keith's script that fetches the stable rules tarball, untars it,
copies the rules to the rules directory and then deletes the tarball,
and I modified it so it will 1) make sure the files were actually
fetched and send mail if they weren't, and 2) make sure the MD5 checksum
is correct, and page me if it isn't (and not run the extract, of
course.)

That's OK, but I'd like to be nicer to the net by only downloading the
rules if they've been updated.  Can wget snatch the date field from the
web page?  Are the rules updated every day?  (Somehow I think not.)

--
Edin Dizdarevic