Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort and acidcenter

From: Rich Adamson <radamson () routers com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 19:12:06 -0600

The switch vs hub issue essential is: switches forward traffic to
only one physical port, and that port is the one that it learned
the MAC address of whatever is attached. If the box on port 1 is
communicating with the box on port 3 in a switched environment, then
devices attached to ports 2 & 4 don't "see" that traffic. So, in this
example, if snort is attached to port 2, it won't see the traffic
between 1 & 3, and therefore it won't alert (except on broadcast-
type traffic).

The Netgear DS104 is kind of an odd duck in that it changes to a
"switch-like" box when the port speeds are different. I forget exactly
which way now, but seems to me that if snort is running on a 100 meg
port and all other ports are running at 10 meg, snort won't see the
traffic (or is it the other way around; don't remember).

There are lots of other so called hubs that essentially do the same
thing. I've got two 3Com Dual Speed 500 hubs, one essentially acts
like a switch between groups of ports (eg, if ports 1-8 communicate
with ports 9-16 and the port speeds differ, then it functions as a
switch), and the second switch always plays like a hub.

This is very interesting.  I use a netgear switch for my wan and lan.   When
someone surfs a porn site in my house, I see it come up on ACID.  I do not
get the url, I just get the IP address.  Snort is set on eth0 which is the
DMZ port on my router.  I see all traffic that comes through my switch and
router.  Maybe I am not understanding the difference and why snort would care
or not see activity on a switched network if it was set that way.