Snort mailing list archives

Re: Syntax question

From: Papa Mike <online_puppy () yahoo ca>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 23:07:12 -0500 (EST)

 --- Dustin Decker <dustind () moon-lite com> wrote: >
Hello all,
I'm new to the list, and using Snort 1.9.0 (Build
209).

I'm logging to a binary file in
/var/log/snort_dumps, and later replaying
them into my DB by hand using -r flag.  I'm getting
ready to make this
somewhat automated, and have hit a minor snag.  I
use the -L flag with
snort to indicate I wish the binary file be named
based on the cheezy
variable you see displayed below:

[snippet from my shell script]
STAMP=`/bin/date +%m%d%y-%H`

/usr/sbin/snort -b -L /var/log/snort_dumps/$STAMP -i
eth0 -c \
      /etc/snort/snort.conf

This is suiting my purposes quite well, with one
exception.  I get file
names such as this:   010403-09.1041693435

Any recommendations on getting rid of the additional
".1041693435" portion
of the file name?

Funny.  I'm running 1.8.6 and my default tracefile
naming convention is "snort-MMdd () hhmm log".  That's
without using the '-L' switch.  When you do, you
should just specify the filename, not the path.  Give
the path with the '-l' switch.