Snort mailing list archives

Re: MySql and Snort

From: Anne Carasik <gator () cacr caltech edu>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 15:05:57 -0800

Hi Cilin,

This helped me the best for getting mysql and snort to
talk with one another:

From http://online.securityfocus.com/infocus/1640:

# cd /usr/share/doc/snort-mysql/contrib.
# gunzip -d create_mysql.gz
# mysql -u root -p
Enter password:
mysql> create database snort_log;
mysql> connect snort_log;
mysql> source create_mysql
mysql> grant CREATE, INSERT, SELECT, DELETE, UPDATE on snort_log.* to
snort;
mysql> grant CREATE, INSERT, SELECT, DELETE, UPDATE on snort_log.* to
snort@localhost;
mysql> grant CREATE, INSERT, SELECT, DELETE, UPDATE on snort_log.* to
acid;
mysql> grant CREATE, INSERT, SELECT, DELETE, UPDATE on snort_log.* to
acid@localhost;
mysql> create database snort_archive;
mysql> connect snort_archive;
mysql> source create_mysql
mysql> grant CREATE, INSERT, SELECT, DELETE, UPDATE on snort_archive.*
to acid;
mysql> grant CREATE, INSERT, SELECT, DELETE, UPDATE on snort_archive.*
to acid@localhost;
mysql> set password for 'snort'@'localhost'=password('');
mysql> set password for 'snort'@'%'=password('');
mysql> set password for 'acid'@'localhost'=password('');
mysql> set password for 'acid'@'%'=password('');
mysql> exit

Note that the directions are for Debian Linux, so YMMV.

-Anne

Cilin grabbed a keyboard and typed...
Hi, I am newbie to snort and also have the problem of
Snort not logging into the MySql database. I did the
following steps, as recommended in one of the earlier
emails but nothing helped.

1.  Created the database snort in MySQL with
appropriate permissions for users and hosts.
2.  Ran the script contrib/create_mysql in the snort
source code against the database as a user with the
correct permissions.
3.   Uncommented and supplied user, password, database
and host for the output database line for mysql in the
snort.conf file.
4.   Restarted Snort.

and still nothing
Snort does log the scans (scan.log gets updated every
time i run a scan over the network)
However i haven't gotten a single error yet.
(alert.ids is 0Kb)

when i run snort from the command line via
"snort -v -i 1" I get:

0 dropped packages

Action stats:
Alerts: 0
Logs  : 0
Passed: 0

Wireless Stats, Fragmentation Stats, TCP Stream
Reasembly stats have ONLY '0's.

Please help, i have searched the internet and the
forums for any clues for the past 2 weeks but didn't
find anything.