Snort mailing list archives

Question about IP range syntax

From: "Schmehl, Paul L" <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 22:18:37 -0600

With nmap, you can specify IP ranges like this: 111.1-43.0.1-220.

When creating variables for snort, can you do the same thing?  I'm
writing some custom rules using flexresp, and I want to know if snort
has this kind of flexibility.  I am seeing a range of IPs that are
extremely "busy" on our network, but I only want to put parts of a class
B in the rule.  I'd like to do something like this: var RST_HOSTS
[x.1-22.x.x/16,x.x.x.x/32,x.x.x.x/24].  Is this possible?  I'm reading
the rules section of the user guide, but I don't see where this specific
issue is addressed, and I don't want to assume that it's not possible.
(We all know what assumptions do for you.)

I understand how to use CIDR blocks, but that covers an entire network,
and I only want to include parts of it.  Rather than do this:
[1.1.0.0/16,1.2.0.0/16] or this [1.1.1.0/24,1.1.2.0/24], I'd like to
make one entry that covers several class B networks within a class A.  I
don't want to include the entire class A.

Possible?

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas