Snort mailing list archives

Snort on Mandrake 9.0

From: "Vaessen, E.M.J. (Ed)" <E.M.J.Vaessen () MDI RWS MINVENW NL>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 16:35:57 +0100

Hello,

I have installed mandrake 9.0 on a single home PC connected to the internet
(ISP xs4all, the Netherlands) by ADSL. At times I may be connected to the
internet for hours.
The security setting (using msec) was set to "high". Furthermore I tried to
set the firewall using the menu Mandrake provides for that but in that
simple menu I could not let the firewall apply to any service (not even
cups) without blocking the contact between my browser (Netscape 7.0) and the
internet. It is not something I understand. As far as I can guess there is
no firewall at all on my system.
Out of curiosity I installed snort and the question is if this is a sensible
thing to do in order to improve the protection of my system. I read
somewhere that snort itself may be vulnerable without a firewall in between.

As you may deduce from this I am a complete newbie in the field of security.

Ed Vaessen

Disclaimer
Aan dit bericht kunnen geen rechten worden ontleend.
Dit bericht is uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde.
Als u dit bericht per abuis hebt ontvangen, wordt u verzocht het te
vernietigen en de afzender te informeren.
Wij adviseren u om bij twijfel over de juistheid of de volledigheid van
de mail contact met afzender op te nemen.