Snort mailing list archives

Re: A weird packet..... perhaps a bug?

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 07:10:18 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 2 Feb 2003, Frank Knobbe wrote:

I recently caught the packet below with Snort 1.9 compiled Jan 29 from
CVS. It lists some weird content. The upper half looks like a valid HTTP
requests (I verified that that image exists and is indeed called from
the referring page). The bottom half looks like a snippet from an email,
which would explain why this packet triggered on port 25.

Has anyone seen a similar mangled packet? Is there a bug in Snort where
the packet buffer gets overwritten half-way?

Frank, do you have a pcap of that packet?  If so, try it out against the
2.0 CVS version.  There was a case that was fixed in CVS that would cause
something like this.

-----
Erek Adams