Snort mailing list archives

Re: Clarification of inbound only logging issue.

From: Erick Mechler <emechler () techometer net>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 14:39:15 -0800

:: I have set up a second instance of snort to log packets to a mysql
:: database.Everything works fine , except it only sees the inbound
:: packets. The rule is "log any any any -> any any" , I even tried "log tcp
:: $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET any", and it still only logs inbound
:: packets.

It really sounds like you should just be using tcpdump for this sort of
thing.  If you aren't really doing any content filtering, or specific
pattern matches, then just run tcpdump, e.g.,

  tcpdump -x -i [iface] host [mysql.db] and port 3306

As to why snort is only seeing the inbound packets, perhaps you have some
asymetric routing going on?  Is your snort sensor on a span port that can
see both inbound and outbound traffic?

Cheers - Erick