Snort mailing list archives

Re: Can't set logdir in 1.9.0

From: Sten Kalenda home <sten () ipjam com>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 21:14:18 +0200

Hi,

I ran into same problems. My workaround is to create
/chroot/snort/var/log dir (which will be seen as /var/log after chroot)

In the source code there are exthensive checks like write permitions in the log directory and so on. These checks are IMHO done to the NON-chroot directory. (Dragos am I right?) This also seems to be the reason why one must specify exactly the same path as in the non chroot environment.

groe10,
Sten

Serge Leschinsky wrote:
Dear Erek.

On Wednesday, October 16, 2002, at 02:43 GMT -07
(16:43, the same day my local time), you wrote about "[Snort-users] Can't set logdir in 1.9.0", at least in part:

EA> I think that you're seeing a problem with chroot.  Your first (logdir) problem
EA> could be caused by it.
I can resolve the setting logdir problem in chroot jail by enumeration
of possibilities, i.e. set as "./log","/log","log" and full path
without chroot jail - "/var/chtoor/snort/log". I can't get from snort
1.9.0 the same behavior as 1.8.7 one. So with small "strut" (ln -s
/var/chroot/snort/log /log) snort was started.

EA>   If that's the true, then your second problem might be
EA> due to your /etc/snort.conf inside your chroot jail.  That's the only thing
EA> that I can think of that would give both errors when you know you're setting
EA> it up in the right way.
You have pointed me the right way! The second problem was in an ordinary
misprint in EXTERNAL_NET definition (was !HOME NET).

EA> Rebuild snort via './configure --enable-debug'.  Then set the environment
EA> variable 'SNORT_DEBUG' to one of the values in <snortdir>/src/debug.h.
I'll do it if it's necessary for anybody for understanding chroot jail
problem. Unfortunately, I have no experience to modify snort's
source....

Thank you for your kind reply!

PS. I still have one question. But it's  better to create a new
thread, I think.

--

-= A "trusted" computer does not mean a computer that is trustworthy =-