Snort mailing list archives

Re: Running Snort 1.9.0 from shell script

From: "Eric Joe" <sysop () tje1 com>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 22:31:43 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 10:11:40PM -0400, Eric Joe wrote:
I had been running Snort 1.8.7 from a simple shell script like this

#!/bin/sh
/usr/local/bin/snort -d -c /home/snort-1.9.0/etc/snort.conf -o &

Now, with version 1.9.0 I get this error when I run it from a shell.

ERROR => Undefined variable name: (../rules/exploit.rules:22): SMTP

I am running the bash shell on

2.4.18-5smp kernel

If I type out the same exact command in a shell, it works fine!

I am baffled. Can someone set me straight?

IFAIK
      var SMTP $HOME_NET
has been replaced with
      var SMTP_SERVERS $HOME_NET

or you have a misspelled rule. Double-check your $VARIABLE useage
against what you define with 'var VARIABLE value' statements.

Michael,
Thanks for the reply. I installed Snort fresh and it only gives me that
error if I run it from my little shell script, otherwise it works fine, so
its prob not a mis-named variable.
Thanks

--
Eric Joe