Snort mailing list archives

Re: tcpdump - showing data size

From: Martin Roesch <roesch () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 21:05:49 -0400

On 10/1/02 6:16 PM, "netsec novice" <netsec9 () hotmail com> wrote:

I have recently set up SNORT with the basic signatures and as a side effect
have discovered that our Risc server seems to be sending out a bunch of icmp
echo request traffic.  I am trying to narrow down the destination hosts to
give our Unix admin more info to determine the source of the requests (app,
cron, etc.).  The rule that is triggering the alert in SNORT is 'Large ICMP
packet' which is defined by the rule:

alert icmp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"IMCP Large ICMP Packet";
dsize: > 800;

I can tell from the Snort logs that the risc box is initiating the echo
requests.  I am running 'tcpdump icmp[0]=8' on the Risc server and I am
wanting to narrow the capture down to the packets that are triggering the
alerts (ie > 800).  How do I display the packet size? Is dsize synonymous

The dsize value is referring to the number of bytes in the packet payload.
The IP header will indicate the overall size of the packet in the DgmLen
field, which includes the size of the IP and transport layer headers.

with bytes ie. > 800 bytes?  I have tried the -v operator but it doesn't
really show much.

Try -d with -v.  Additionally, read the USAGE file, it'll get you pointed in
the right direction and it only takes a few minutes.

     -Marty

--
Martin Roesch - Founder/CTO Sourcefire Inc. - (410) 290-1616
roesch () sourcefire com - http://www.sourcefire.com