Snort mailing list archives

Re: SMTP_SERVERS error when starting snort

From: twig les <twigles () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 10:37:58 -0700 (PDT)

The warning about no IP address is normal, you can
ignore that.  It looks like you have to go into
snort.conf and add a line like:

SMTP_SERVERS 25

or something like that.  The rules are using a
variable that hasn't been declared in snort.conf.

--- Dirty Absu <dabsu () yahoo com> wrote:

Hi. I'm running snort 1.8.7 on FreeBSD 4.7RC. The
installation and setting up process went smoothly
but when I want to start snort with
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/snort start, I got the following
error:

/kernel: xl0: promiscuous mode enabled

snort: WARNING: OpenPcap() device xl0 network
lookup: xl0: no IPv4 address assigned

snort: FATAL ERROR: ERROR => Undefined variable
name: (/usr/local/share/snort/exploit.rules:22):
SMTP_SERVERS

/kernel: xl0: promiscuous mode disabled

Anyone can help me?

The Dirty One