Snort mailing list archives

RE: simple question

From: Robby Desmond <rdesmond () els ucsb edu>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 15:03:51 -0700

At 04:22 PM 10/7/02 -0500, Steve Halligan wrote:
Well, you can run snort like this:

snort [your options] host !A.B.C.100

Works, also, "snort <options> not host a.b.c.100"

or

You can add a -o to the command line and make a pass rule like:

pass ip any any -> A.B.C.100 any

Works on inbound. Will still alert on any trouble .100 causes, but this is probably a good thing.

or

you can make your HOME_NET:

var HOME_NET [A.B.C.0/24,!A.B.C.100]

I don't think this will work. If my thinking is correct, the comma delimitation basically works as an OR. So what you have is [a.b.c.0/24 OR (NOT a.b.c.100)], which is basically defining it as "any" in a fun little roundabout way. I wish this would work though.

-Robby

Robert Desmond
Systems Administrator
UCSB Extended Learning Services