Snort mailing list archives

snortd error

From: Incidents <incidents () attbi com>
Date: 20 Dec 2002 23:24:23 -0800

Hello All,

I'm attempting to start snort using the command below, but I keep
getting this error. Any suggestions?

# /etc/rc.d/init.d/snortd start
: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

I checked and /bin/sh is installed.

# /bin/sh
sh-2.05b#

I checked the archives and google, but have found little help other then
to check for /bin/sh. Here is what my snortd file looks like. Maybe
there something in there more obvious to someone other than me. Thanks
for your help.

#!/bin/sh
#
# snortd         Start/Stop the snort IDS daemon.
#
# chkconfig: 2345 40 60
that
#               currently detects more than 1100 host and network
#               vulnerabilities, portscans, backdoors, and more.
#
# June 10, 2000 -- Dave Wreski <dave () linuxsecurity com>
#   - initial version
#
# July 08, 2000 Dave Wreski <dave () guardiandigital com>
#   - added snort user/group
#   - support for 1.6.2

# Source function library.
. /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions

# Specify your network interface here
INTERFACE=eth0

# See how we were called.
case "$1" in
  start)
        echo -n "Starting snort: "
        ifconfig eth0 up
        daemon /usr/local/bin/snort -U -o -i $INTERFACE -d -D \
                -c /etc/snort/snort.conf
        touch /var/lock/subsys/snort
        sleep 3
        rm /var/log/snort/alert
        echo
        ;;
  stop)
        echo -n "Stopping snort: "
        killproc snort
        rm -f /var/lock/subsys/snort
        echo
        ;;
  restart)
        $0 stop
        $0 start
        ;;
  status)
        status snort
        ;;
  *)
        echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart|status}"
        exit 1
esac

exit 0