Snort mailing list archives

Re: One question

From: Shane Williams <shanew () gslis utexas edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 11:12:20 -0600 (CST)

I haven't tried it yet, but I don't see why hogwash wouldn't run on a
bridging firewall.  Hmmm... holiday project perhaps.

On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, Matt Kettler wrote:

No, not a bridge, a router. However I suspect what you are calling a
"bridge" is really a router anyway.

A Bridge is a simple ethernet layer device that bridges 2 ethernet segments
(ie: a switch with only 2 ports is a bridge), a router is an IP layer
device with multiple interfaces that routes IP packets between them. The
significant difference here is that some non-IP things like ARP don't
generally pass through a router (although they might be proxied by it), but
any type ethernet packet can go through a bridge, provided the MAC
addresses dictate it is headed to the other side.

Since hogwash relies on IPTables for filtering, that filtering is IP layer,
thus must happen on a system which routes at an IP layer. It can't merely
be an ethernet layer bridge.