Snort mailing list archives

RE: Clueless in Toronto

From: "Rich Stryker" <rstryker () virtuallearning net>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 15:18:03 -0500

Joel,

        Thank you for your help. I have not as yet figured out why it dies while logging to binary but I did get some
logs created by SNORT. Those files couldn't be read by neither SNORT, WINDUMP nor a text editor the errors kept saying
it wasn't a real file or something.

        I have also played around with the snort.conf file. If only I had read it a bit more... I had reconfigured the
unifed binary output which explains the weird logfile names. I put the snort.conf back to its normal settings and now I
get the alert.ids file. I now have to figure out how SNORTSNARF works. :-)

        I would like to get the binary working soon but I guess I should learn to crawl before I walk. Do you or anyone
else know why SNORTSNARF doesn't return any output in HTML format? I have the alert.ids file in the directory
SNORTSNARF was told to look into, as per the installation instructions from Silicon Defense, and I also have over 20
subfolders, labelled with IP addresses, so why does SNORTSNARF not show me anything?

        Is it because the only traffic on the network is ICMP stuff like PING and TRACERT and basic NT authentication?

Still Clueless but hopefully getting better....

Rich