Snort mailing list archives

Re: New Trend: Intrusion Prevention

From: "Kevin Black" <snort_lists () mbsecuresolutions com>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 15:17:47 -0800

Ok, I will respond once then we should take this offline :) I believe you are right in everything you said, I think you are saying the same thing I am in most cases. IPS is the future and will become a major "feature" in most firewalls and possibly IDS's just like signature based IDS's will merge with anomaly based IDS's. Both Hogwash and Guardian were referred to in this thread a few times as IPS so it was fair of me to refer to them as well. Cisco also talks about "shunning" in their PIX IDS...etc.etc. I dont know enough about host based IPS to state a position so this does not include host IPS. Any auto response is what I am talking about. Let me put forth a few examples using Snort sigs since this is a Snort mailing list:

- POP3 PASS overflow attempt  SID:1634
I have seen a rash of these over the last few weeks. What I have determined is that all the sources for this alert are using an updated Outlook or Outlook express. Essentially what would have happened if the firewall had this signature and did not allow packets to pass is that none of the normal users would have been able to get their mail.

- SMTP HELO overflow attempt  SID:1549
If you run Exchange 2k you will be very familiar with this sig as it would have flooded your db, alert file, etc, when you enabled it. The IPS if built into the firewall making decisions would have blocked most if not all of your sites email until you determined what the problem was.

When I am talking about this I am not referring to a site where the admin and the net engineer and the sec analyst are the same person or sit next to each other. I am talking more about the larger environments where they may not even know each others faces. Companies like this are the commercial target, not the small shops. In environments like this "white-lists" would be very hard to maintain in my experience and they would not cover things such as Google, Yahoo, AOL, etc. Imagine your helpdesk who supports the 1.5-2k ppl on the site getting calls from everyone saying that they cannot get to Yahoo :) In your IIS double decode example you need to be really careful. What happens if the security analyst doesnt know that the Web devs just added an "upload a picture" page? That jpg or gif could easily contain the characters that would trigger the alert so this would have to be taken into account when the rule is written or it could waste valuable time.

Your personal issue with the router statement:

In most cases your firewall or your IDS are not a router. This means that the next hop is your router, not your ISP's. Who cares if this dest gets blocked? In ordinary circumstances nobody does. Imagine this though. Your users begin complaining that several things are not accessable on the Internet. The first thing you would check was your firewall to ensure it is up. The second thing would probably be your router. You would then waste time thinking that the issue is possibly a faulty router, you would then contact the network engineer as you do not have access to it. Not exactly a dangerous situation but it would again waste time. I did not say anything about mac blocking as that would, in every case, be useless.

I hate to get into specific examples. I was just stating the case that *at this point and time* the technology is young and is *not there yet*. It does not threaten IDS nor does it threaten firewalls it is more of a *feature*. *At this point and time* it is very necessary to be cautious of the setup as it could waste many peoples time. Of course in a small one web server 100 person environment this would probably not be the case but they are *not* the main commercial target.

Thanks,
   Kevin Black
   kblack () mbsecuresolutions com

On 15 Dec 2002 16:09:26 -0600