Snort mailing list archives

Re: switch port settings?

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 13:53:07 -0400

Sure, this is a very good idea, many snort setups do this. Ultimately you'll have to weigh if you're interested in attacks within your lan, but in many cases it makes sense to not trust your users. As far as the high alert level it looks like you just need to change some of your settings.

In particular you might want to consider:
1) change EXTERNAL_NET to be !$HOME_NET or at least !$SERVERS instead of any.

2) carefully pick which IPs and what thresholds to use for portscan. In general I try not to watch internal lan servers with this and I tend to increase the thresholds for snort boxes monitoring inside a lan (as opposed to those monitoring just the connection from a lan to the internet.