Snort mailing list archives

Re: content rule

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 20:14:19 -0500

Yes, that's roughly legal to do.. What was your question/problem relating to this rule?

at an eyball scan for problems, since you didn't really state your problem:

Your first content would appear to not be a whole number of bytes... are you sure that's what you wanted, or is a digit missing? (AB432CDEF is 4.5 bytes long.)

I'd also be wary of your depth specifier.. I think that would require *both* content strings to start within the first 5 bytes of the packet, but each of those strings is >4 bytes long, making that impossible.

Also will both of these content patterns happen in the same tcp segment, or burst of segments that stream4 can handle?