Snort mailing list archives

Re: criticism of snort in articles

From: twig les <twigles () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 16:42:32 -0800 (PST)

This stuff is true, but what I've found is that when
companies go out of their way to make it easier for
the IT guy to administer thru use of GUIs, objects,
integrated everything... is that I don't know which
way is up.  Then when I figure out how everything is
put together I'm more annoyed than impressed.

If anyone wants a vibrant illustration of these
points, get a Cisco IDS (netranger thingy) sensor and
try getting *any* useful information out of it without
using Cisco's proprietary "point 'n click" crap ("so
syslogd sends info to UDP 515 now?  BWAHAHAHA").

My point is that there is no shortcut.  If this stuff
was easy everyone would...wait, everyone *is* doing
it.

--- James-lists <hackerwacker () cybermesa com> wrote:
However, until snort becomes a no brainer the
reviews will continue
portray snort as the cinderella of IDS's. The
problem with bad press
is
that some managers don't know enough to
objectively decide on what
solution is best for the organization and
proprietary vendors in
their
sales pitch will say that snort is too difficult
to configure and
our
product won an A+ from .... magazine.

You cannot understand security till you are, as I
call it, "Packet
minded".
Managers may wish for a box that has 2 lights, 1 for
"OK" and another
for "You have been hacked" but if this is the depth
of one's
understanding
they will be hacked again and again. No IDS can help
with this
situation.
Security will always be nity-gritty & complex. One
size will never fit
all.

I get 2,000 to 10,000 alerts a day on a well tuned
rule set. I know a
whole
lot more from the thousands of hits that are not
true penetrations and
the false
positives than the occasional one that means some
has broken in or is
close to
this point.

=====