Snort mailing list archives

smtp rule help

From: "ricardo () datawan net" <ricardo () datawan net>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 16:02:57 -0500

I have been running snort for a while with Demarc as a front-end.  I have
never needed to write my own rules but thought it was time to learn!
Client has a network that has Mail Relay open for all local users. I want
to log all outgoing email that is NOT from a specific domain.
"user () somedomain com".  I tried the following and it seems to work but just
want to confirm this is right!  Or the best way to do it.

alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET 25 (msg:"SMTP Rule- My custom SMTP
Rule"; content:!"@somedomain.com"; depth: 22; flags: A+; nocase;
classtype:misc-activity;)

thanks in advance!

Ricardo LondoƱo