Snort mailing list archives

Re: Why is snort "lightweight"?

From: Brian <bmc () snort org>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 17:35:05 -0500

On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 01:27:13PM -0500, Jesse W. Asher wrote:
I've seen Snort categorized as "lightweight" and I wanted to understand
what was meant by that statement.  What makes Snort lightweight versus
other intrusion detection systems. What makes one heavyweight and one
lightweight?  Was this categorization even justified?

When snort started out, it was very light weight.  You didn't need a ton
of resources to run snort.  Case in point, an instance of snort from 2+
years ago is still emailing me logs every day that is running on a 486
with 16 megs of ram.

With the changes made in the past few years, Snort isn't just for your home
networks anymore.  With the help of a large number of people, snort's grown
in usefulness to be an enterprise class NIDS.  You can still configure it to
not require large ammounts of resources, but snort can also scale to very
large networks.

-brian