Snort mailing list archives

Re: e100 promisc mode

From: twig les <twigles () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 13:56:41 -0800 (PST)

Turn off that built-in in the BIOS and buy a new NIC.

--- Peter Param <pparam () stvincents com au> wrote:
Hi all,

Recently installed Snort 1.9 on linux 2.4.7-10.  I
had to get the latest
e100 driver (2.1.6) from Compaq to get it working on
the machine with an
inbuilt NIC.  The card works but not in promisc
mode.  Doing a "ifconfig
eth0 promisc" makes it look like its working in
promiscuous mode but
really it isn't.  I confirmed this by running
tcpdump alongside
snort...only sees broadcasts.  Another machine (an
ibook with ver10) on
the same segment (same hub etc) running tcpdump
also, confirms that it
can see all frames.  I'm stumped!...any ideas??

cheers
Peter

This email and any files transmitted with it are
confidential and
intended solely for the use of the individual or
entity to whom they
are addressed. If you have received this email in
error please notify
the system manager.

This footnote also confirms that this email message
has been
virus scanned and although no viruses were detected
by the system,
St Vincent's Hospital accepts no liability for any
consequential
damage resulting from email containing any computer
viruses.

=====