Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort placement

From: neptuna <neptuna () neptuna org>
Date: 05 Aug 2002 03:19:43 -0400

If I read correctly, this is your current setup

Cable Modem ----- Router/FW ---- Dlink switch ---- 3 computers.

Yes, that is correct.

Snort can be placed in many areas:  Probably the most beneficial would
be in front and behind the router/FW, this way you know what you're
being attacked with and what's getting through the FW.

Actutally I did try to install snort a few months ago and I placed it on
one of the boxes on the inside (a RH 7.2) box. However it did not
capture any traffic.

CM ---- Snort --- Router/FW --- Snort ---- Switch ---- computers.

Let me understand:
CM -> Snort box plugged into the Ethernet jack of modem -> [ this is
where i am confused ] Snort box hooked into the Router [ but how ?] ->
snort box UPlinked to switch -> Switch to internal computers?

You can also hook it up to an open port on the switch and monitor
traffic that way.  All these options are dependent on separate boxes
doing Snort.

I tried this before (see above)

Thanks very much Chris !!