Snort mailing list archives

Re: ICMP Ping NMAP

From: "Vinay A. Mahadik" <VAMahadik () lbl gov>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 15:54:10 -0700

"larosa, vjay" wrote:

Hello Everyone,

Unfortunately I am still working on this same problem. I do have some more
information
to share so maybe some one out there can help me solve this problem. Here
are the
characteristics,

I could be wrong but it looks like a custom traceroute-like tool to me..
perhaps your firewall blocks UDP high ports etc?..

This actually reminds of a question I think I had posted before and was
never answered.. what's the point in having signatures for *tools* of
reconnaissance (nmap, queso etc). E.g. in this case, assuming it is a
scan, and knowing that the TTL is changing, the attacker is probably
root and thus can randomize most of the headers/fields that are
irrelevant to scanning. Simply because some nice/standard scanners use
specific tags/marks shouldn't mean an IDS should include rules for all
such that are created ever? There are so many such rules in Snort.. and
I fail to see how such sigs are useful given the overhead in searching
through all (an increasing number) of them..

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Vinay.

--