Snort mailing list archives

RE: running snort questions

From: "Daniel Lopez" <dlopez () tct hut fi>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 22:33:52 +0300

<snip>

you can still use the interfaces file:

[root@sched:/etc/network]# cat interfaces

<snip>

iface eth2 inet static

<snip>

works for me:

[root@sched:/etc/network]# ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:80:C8:B9:F9:C9
           collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
           RX bytes:209873534 (200.1 MiB)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
           Interrupt:10 Base address:0xa800

I have the same on my /etc/network/interfaces file:

iface eth0 inet static

and when I do a "ifconfig", I can see that my eth0 interface is not up!
Only the lo interface is up. To be able to see the eth0 interface up, I
have to put the options
address and netmask after "iface eth0 inet static"
Any idea?

the only thing that doesn't work for me on this machine is
snort -i any.
that only puts eth0 in promiscuous mode (using snort-mysql
Version 1.8.7
(Build 128)).

I launched snort with the -i option and it doesn't put my NIC in
promiscuous mode.
I have to do it manually.
Does Snort set your NIC in promiscuous mode when you run it??

Thanks for any advice and help!

Daniel