Snort mailing list archives

Re: newbie configuration issues

From: John Sage <jsage () finchhaven com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 22:14:12 -0700

Paul:

On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 09:58:01PM -0400, Paul Greene wrote:
Hello All;

I recently installed Snort on an "IDS bridge" using OpenBSD.

So the "IDS bridge" is a box with -- what? -- two NIC's? Are the NIC's
assigned IP addresses, or are they address-less?

If this is the case, you may want to check the list archives, and the
FAQ's 3.1 and 3.2...

How do you have $HOME_NET and $EXTERNAL_NET set?

The setup is a cable modem. The "IDS bridge" is between the cable modem and
the NAT box (another openbsd box). The NAT box is dynamically assigned an
IP address in the 68.48.xxx.xxx range by the cable company. The internal
network is a 192.168.0.0/24 network.

If you're getting a dynamically-assigned IP address back on the NAT
box, /* somehow I'm having a hard time picturing this: the modem and
the "IDS bridge" are just acting as though they're wire: packets just
pass through with their IP addresses unexamined? */ how do you account
for that relative to $HOME_NET?

Do you have some equivalent to:

var HOME_NET $ppp0_ADDRESS

<snippage>

- John
--
"Cowardly refusing to create an empty archive."