Snort mailing list archives

Re: How to run snort with -g and -u flags

From: twig les <twigles () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 10:13:50 -0700 (PDT)

My understanding of Snort's ability to run as another
user is that it *drops* the privileges to that user.
This is significant in that you have to start out as
root for packet sniffing (tcpdump makes you do this
too).  So even though I run Snort and the rules update
crontab as user snort, I have to stop and start Snort
as root, which is no problem due to the clunky way our
infrastructure makes me update signatures....

So I guess the way I'll be automating this when I get
around to it is to have a seperate crontab under root
that bounces snort using the startup file about 5
minutes after the signature update runs.  Hope this
helps, sounds like you're 95% done.

--- Tim Goodwin <jaguar_fresh () yahoo com> wrote:
Hi all
I run the snort 1.8.7 on OpenBSD. I created user
snort
and I run snort with -g snort -u snort. I update
rules
with the oinkmaster which is run out of snort user
crontab everyday. I have problem I hope you can
help.
snort users crontab oinkmaster gets new rules and
work
fine, at end of crontab I restart snort with kill
-HUP
`cat /var/run/snortpid` but it say I not root so I
cant sniff. Which is true, I not root, I snort at
that
time. How I get around this? Also another thing...I
start snort from the rc.local file but snort start
as
root and only root can read /var/run/snortpid file
so
I have to manual chmod it to have snort user read
it.
What do people do to work with these problems. thank
you for your time

Marcello

=====