Snort mailing list archives

RE: windows 2000 pro

From: Nick Benigno <nick () lloydstaffing com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 10:50:41 -0400

After installing v2.3 or any version of winpcap the machine needs to be
rebooted. Also, if you have installed another version over itself you will
need to remove them all and re-install again (while rebooting each time you
install,uninstall). Also, be sure to do a search for packet.sys and remove
it before you install (for win2k, or packet.dll/packet.vxd) if you do not so
this it may also not function properly.

I had problems when installing the winpcap on my win2k server, I believe it
was a result of having version 2.02 installed, then 2.3 installed over it. I
had to uninstall 2.3, reboot, install 2.02, reboot, uninstall 2.02, reboot,
install 2.3, reboot and I was fine.

I don't know if this matches your exact scenario but it may relate.

my error code:
Initializing Network Interface
ERROR: OpenPcap() device open:
Error opening adapter
Fatal Error, Quitting..

Below Taken from http://winpcap.polito.it/install/default.htm

"WARNING: you must uninstall older versions (see Q-2 in the FAQ to know how)
and reboot the system before installing the new ones, otherwise WinPcap
could not work properly.

IMPORTANT NOTE: sometimes, when uninstalling WinPcap version 2.02 or older
from the control panel's network applet in Windows 9x, the file
Windows\Packet.dll(packet.sys/packet.vxd) is not deleted. You must delete
this file manually, otherwise newer versions will not work properly and
could cause system crashes."

-Nick