Snort mailing list archives

Re: instant snort sigs for new vulnerabilites

From: Steve Francis <sfrancis () expertcity com>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 16:38:31 -0700

I have this called from cron:
#Update rules
cd /tmp
rm -rf rules
/usr/local/bin/wget http://www.snort.org/downloads/snortrules.tar.gz
tar -xzf snortrules.tar.gz
rm snortrules.tar*
mv /tmp/rules/*.rules /usr/local/share/snort

# Restart snort (doing it with stop/start restarts the snort-NNNN () NNNN log
# file).
       /usr/local/etc/rc.d/snort.sh stop >/dev/null
       if [ -d $ARCHIVE ]; then
               cd $SNORTLOG
               mv *-snort.log $ARCHIVE
       fi
       /usr/local/etc/rc.d/snort.sh start >/dev/null

twig les wrote:

That's a good idea for a quick script that I should
have had done months ago.  As soon as I put out the
lastest mystery fire I'll see if I can get a
reasonable little Lynx-based cronjob.

--- Steve McGhee <stevem () lmri ucsb edu> wrote:

with all the fuss lately over the new apache worm,
etc, id like to know
if my machine is getting hit (its patched, just
being curious). i know
about mod_blowchunks, but im looking for something
more general..

it seems to me that snort could see these attacks
pretty easily.

is there a tool/method out there that will retrieve
the *latest* snort
signatures automatically? for those of us not
running snort via CVS, id
like a way to do something like cvsup, but _only_
update my ruleset
every night or whatever.

i cc: the freebsd team as this might be a cool
(simple) port. (something
like /usr/ports/security/snort-signatures)

this could be helpful to people who are just
curious, or maybe could
provide some good numbers to shock lazy sysadmins
into actually patching
their machines.

..of course, this is all assuming there's someone
out there writing
signatures  ;)

- --
- -steve

~

~        Steve McGhee
~        Systems Administrator
~        Linguistic Minority Research Institute
~        UC Santa Barbara
~        phone: (805)893-2683
~        email: stevem () lmri ucsb edu

To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo () FreeBSD org
with "unsubscribe freebsd-security" in the body of
the message

=====