Snort mailing list archives

Re: any support / plug-in / integration plan for HID

From: "Moyer, Shawn" <smoyer () rgare com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 01:26:58 -0500

DoL wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have asked this same question on "Snort-Devel" with not much success.
> So I am trying this here.
>
> Just wonder if there is any plan / way to support or integrate HID
> agents? And how, please!
>
> Thanks
> /dl

Prolly you got a lukewarm response because it's a question that's fraught with other issues.

First, define what you mean by HID, since what this means changes on a vendor-by-vendor basis. Is what you want simply monitoring interfaces on hosts for bad traffic in addition to monitoring the whole network? If so, Snort can easily be run in non-promisc mode on individual hosts logging to a central server to get this.

If you mean more in-depth monitoring of events at an app, kernel, stack write, and log level on hosts and such, I'd check out Dragon Squire or ISS Server Sensor (yes, I said the I-word, hugs and kisses to Klaus and co., I know they read this list, they have to get their ideas somewhere) if you want to pay money, get support, yadda yadda. I think Cisco has some crap that purports to do this as well.

I've had pretty good luck myself with Syslog-NG, NTsyslog, Logcheck, Swatch, Tripwire, Samhain, (google for 'em or look on Sourceforge) and a number of other homebaked toys to do host IDS-ish things on boxes, and from what I understand you can push some of that data into the Snort DB for perusing in ACID if you're so inclined, although personally I haven't done it. There's also tons of other free auditing / logging tools out there for whatever OS you like, not to mention vendor docs on enabling stronger logging / auditing / security measures.

The question is, what do you gain by integrating the two, other than navel-gazing? Let the host stuff do its thing, and the NIDS stuff do its thing, and as long as both of them make your pager go off at 3 in the morning when the fit hits the shan everybody's happy, right?

--shawn