Snort mailing list archives

RE: snort.conf & commandline.

From: Sergio Aldo Casas <sergio_casasar () yahoo com ar>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 16:24:24 -0300 (ART)

 SOMEONE HAVE IS THERE THE MANUAL THE INSTALATION OF SNORT, AND WHAT VERSION THE SNORT IS RECOMENDADED  FOR INSTALL IN
RED HAT 7.2 OR 7.1 WHICH PROPOSIT THE RUNNING IN FIREWALL?.

REGARDS

SERGIO CASAS
  Don <Don () WeberOnTheWeb com> escribió: there seems to be some confusion here, i am anyway,
the following variables, will set External_net == equal to Home_net
var EXTERNAL_NET = $HOME_NET doesn't work (I tried it yesterday)
var EXTERNAL_NET $HOME_NET is ok (I tried it now)

you dont want that!!
the following will set External_Net to anything BUT home_net

var EXTERNAL_NET !$HOME_NET

this is what you want, unless you are only wanting to detect your home_net
traffic, and of course you need to make sure home_net is not set to ""any""
so your home_net variable should be set to your IP like so

var Home_Net 192.168.0.0/24
or whatever your ip address/range is
var Home_Net [192.168.0.25/32,192.168.0.30/32]
etc...