Snort mailing list archives

Re: Why are there no open source GUI's for managing multiple Snort sensors?

From: twig les <twigles () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 13:33:20 -0700 (PDT)

My problem with most GUIs, including some IDS guis
that will rename nameless <cough cough netranger>, is
that I don't know wth is going on unless I do some
serious digging.  So while the GUI is helpful in that
I don't have to remember a bunch of commands and where
conf files are, the positives are balanced by the
negatives.

So essentially my dream is to be able to maintain
identical configurations on multiple snort sensors but
still be able to control exactly what command is
executing when I hit a button (ie right-click on the
button and be able to pull up and edit the command,
like in Windowmaker when you goto settings on the
icon).

So aside from my whining about adding a layer of
abstraction, the normal stuff would be nice...rule
updates, scp/ssh/sftp, centralized reporting and alert
parsing based on things like rule, IP, time etc..

Allowing the user to define their own "macros" would
be sweet, that way the beta testers could put out some
good templates.

--- Carl Samond <dunnun () mailandnews com> wrote:
I can see graphical user interfaces to manage
individual sensors and I
can see GUIs to analyse alerts from a group of
sensors but why is there
no tool to provide both management and analysis for
multiple sensors?

I'm considering pursuing this for my university
project so if such a
tool exists already I'd like to know, if anyone can
help me pin down my
requirements I'd be most grateful.  I'm interested
in hearing about how
people would like to use snort (particularly less
experienced users).
What is a drag about using snort? Would centralised
management help a
significant number of people?

Many thanks Carl.

=====