Snort mailing list archives

Re: simultaneous snort and tcpdump

From: Jason <security () brvenik com>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 13:13:30 -0400

create a rule that matches the other interesting traffic.

look at the docs for creating rules on snort.org

Carl Gibbons wrote:

Thanks, Bennett and Gary.

I was needlessly complicating matters.  Perhaps I still am: one
reason I want simultaneous snort/tcpdump is that "snort -b" only
seems to record packets on which it finds a rule match, and I want
to record other traffic as well.  Perhaps there's an elegant,
efficient way to do so with a single snort process?  - Carl

Bennett Todd wrote:
As far as I know, you can just run your snort and your tcpdump at
the same time...

Gary Flynn wrote:
My experiences are the same as Bennett's. I've got ntop and
snort running on the same interface and they seem to be
sharing it fine.

When I first contemplated doing this, I did some superficial
research that suggested to me that this wouldn't be a problem.
After diving through pcap code and then into the kernel
network handling code, I came to the conclusion that all
pcap applications have a PF_SOCKET open whose packet_rcv()
functions are sequentially called by the kernel.

This seems to be very nicely documented in the following two
articles:

and