Snort mailing list archives

Re: ascii files

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 12:09:52 -0400

I'm quite sure snort will not work directly on tcpdump ascii files.

It might be possible to use tcpdump itself to convert the ascii files to binary ones.

However if tcpdump was run without ALL of the following parameters, it is completely futile to even attempt. (without these parameters tcpdump ascii output does NOT contain the whole packet)

        -e              print link layer headers
        -x              print the data of the packet
-s 1500 (or whatever your MTU is).. up the snaplen to capture the whole packet, not just the headers -nn use numeric host and port names. (it's common some names in /etc/services may represent multiple ports making converting the name back to a port number impossible.)