Snort mailing list archives

Portscans, alerts, and Database question

From: Kevin Peuhkurinen <kevinp () routergod com>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 10:37:18 -0400

Hi all.  I'm setting up a Snort install with one sensor in front of my
firewall and a second behind it.   The internal sensor machine also
hosts a mySQL database which both sensors log events to.

I *don't* want portscans logged to the database (I'll use SnortSnarf to
report on the portscans directly from the portscans.log file).   I
understand that if I change the database output plugin type to "log"
from "alert", the portscans won't get sent to the database.  But will
making this change affect anything else?

Thanks!
Kevin