Snort mailing list archives

Re: FreeBSD Snort Install Help!!!!!

From: twig les <twigles () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 10:00:40 -0700 (PDT)

Alright, lets see if we can help.

1. If you are getting a file system full message could
you include the output of "df -h"?  Your filesystem
could actually be full.

2. If you have massive problems installing a port
(which is possible, it has happened to me), grab the
ISO install disk and do a "/stand/sysinstall", and add
the package from the CD.  It won't be as up-to-date as
the port, but as long as there isn't a required
feature or security hole, I'm not too worried.  Or
just go to the software site and do a source install.

3. If you are using the patch command, make sure you
use the full path name, as in /tmp/resolv.patch or
/home/user1/resolv.patch or wherever you downloaded
the patch to.

4. X windows, IMHO, can be the most difficult thing to
install on BSD.  When I upgraded from 4.4 to 4.6 I was
dismayed to see that the configuration tool had
changed and, also in my opinion, was more convoluted
and difficult to use.  I got my setup to work though
trial and error after making sure I had the correct
vert and horizontal sync, and chose the correct video
driver.  When in doubt I always choose the lesser
option (ie, 24-bit graphics instead of 32).  Sorry I
can't help more on X, but it's a PITA.

5. On the other email you sent, you included bmc at
snort.org.  He has nothing to do with this doc, he
just posts it when I send him a new one.

--- Goldmoon <summer_beha () yahoo com> wrote:
Hi,

Here are some problems I've encountered since trying
to install FreeBSD and snort. Here is how I've
allocated my disk in FreeBSD, it's a 4GB drive:

/ 100M
/swap 2000M
/usr  1500M
/tmp   200M
/var   rest

I'm at the "install necessary ports" section and
here
are the errors while trying to install the ports:

1. When ran for the second time,
/usr/ports/www/mozilla
   make; make install
The error message: Sep 10 15:08:45 snort /kernel:
pid
68926(cp), uid 0 on /usr: file system full

2. When running all the other ports installation via
the instructions,

The error message: ....(filename)doesn't seem to
exist
in /usr/ports/distfiles

couldn't fetch it-please try to retrieve this port
manually into /usr/ports/distfiles and try again

Error Code 1
3. I've downloaded the patch, resolv.patch and
resolv.patch.asc

When attempt to do the following: cd /usr/src
                              patch < /path/to/path

I've tried "patch < resolv.patch" What is the
correct
syntax?

4. I can't get X-windows to work even though I've
configured my monitor and video card correctly, what
suggestions do you have? I have a trident 3dimage
9750
video card and an Impression 70 plus monitor.

What am I doing wrong? I'm getting a bit frustrated
since I've reinstalled FreeBSD several times
thinking
I might have missed something, but I'm following the
directions down to the "t" Please help!!!!

Thanks!

Yahoo! - We Remember
http://dir.remember.yahoo.com/tribute

=====